Start by mixing the dough. While it’s rising you can begin making the filling. Start by cooking the sausage. When I’m cooking with my friend, we have the sausage already cooked.
While the sausage is cooking, crack the eggs and whisk together with the seasonings and milk.
After the sausage is completely cooked, add the egg mixture and cook until done. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape and cut into squares. The size is up to you. We’ve usually kept them on the smaller size, however, as my kids have gotten older, I’ve started making them larger.
Place a spoonful of filling on each square…
…then pull up opposite corners and pinch together. Pinch all the seams together.
Place, upside down, on a greased cookie sheet. Placing them upside down helps keep them from leaking while cooking.
Let cool completely then place in gallon sized Ziploc bags. Lay flat to freeze.
Angela and I really like to go big! We double this recipe every time we get together.
Breakfast Pockets (Freezer Meal)
- 3 T. Yeast
- 1 T. Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 4 tsp. Salt
- 5 Eggs
- 3 Cups Warm Water
- 10-12 Cups Flour
- 3 lbs. Bulk Sausage
- 4 1/2 Cups Frozen Hashbrowns Thawed
- 21 Eggs
- 9 T. Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 6 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- In a bowl, dissolve Yeast & Sugar in Water. Add to your mixer, oil, eggs, sugar and water. Combine Salt, Sugar and 10 C. Flour. Add dry ingredients to wet. Add Yeast mixture and stir. Continue to add flour 1/2 C. at a time until it reaches a soft dough. Cover and let rise while mixing the filling.
- Cook the sausage over Medium heat until browned. Drain if needed. Add hash browns, eggs, milk and spices. Cook and stir until set. Remove from heat and add cheese.
Assembling the Pockets
- Preheat oven to 375′ When dough is ready, punch down and roll out into a large rectangular shape. Cut into small (3-4″) squares. Place about 2 T. of mixture in square and join all 4 corners. Pinch the sides and place upside down in a greased cookie sheet. Bake 9-12 mins. or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely. Once cooled, place in the freezer until frozen. Store in a Ziploc Freezer bag for 3-6 months. To reheat, place on a paper towel and microwave until warmed all the way through. (45 sec., flip, 30 sec.)